Melasma, also called chloasma, is a common skin condition that causes dark, irregularly shaped patches on areas of the face like the forehead, cheeks, nose, upper lip, or chin. Most common in women and people with darker skin, melasma is thought to be related to sun exposure. This harmless condition is sometimes called the "mask of pregnancy" because it can develop when a woman is pregnant.
The skin specialists at SBA Dermatology & Plastic Surgery offer the latest treatments for melasma, which include:
- IPL FotoFacial™ treatments target the excess pigmentation without harming the surface of the skin.
- Fraxel® laser treatments can eliminate the increased pigmentation while rejuvenating the skin through collagen enhancement.
- Microneedling can treat brown spots and uneven coloring of the face, neck, chest, arms, or hands. It also helps stimulate collagen production to firm and tighten skin.
- Chemical peels can help even out coloring on the face and leave skin feeling softer.
- Professional skin care products such as those from SkinMedica® lighten melasma and improve the overall appearance of your skin.
Qualified patients with moderate to severe melasma can sign up to participate in melasma studies through our Center for Skin Research.