Rosacea is a facial skin condition characterized by persistent redness, flushing, mild swelling, and in more severe cases red, pimple-like bumps on the cheeks and nose. It is most common in people with fair skin, and affects women more often than men.
The persistent red color of the face is caused by a network of small blood vessels (called telangiectasia) that have enlarged and become more visible in the skin. Cumulative sun exposure and certain types of food and drugs, alcohol, heat, stress, and exercise can trigger rosacea. Because it is so visible, this disease can affect quality of life by making affected individuals self-conscious about their appearance.
Get The Skinny
We answer common questions about this skin condition. Read the Article
While rosacea cannot usually be cured, the earlier you begin treatment the better. Our staff of medical professionals will help you determine which treatment will be most effective for your condition. Available options include:
- Antibiotics, both oral and topical, are an effective treatment for rosacea when used in early stages of the condition.
- IPL FotoFacial™ reduces redness and improves skin texture with little or no downtime.
- Fraxel® laser treatments gently reduce redness and improve the texture and tone of your skin over a series of treatments.
- Laser Genesis uses laser energy to gently reduce the size of enlarged blood vessels through a series of treatments.
- Redness Relief CalmPlex™ from SkinMedica® and available at SBA is a new breakthrough product for the treatment of visible redness.
Qualified patients with moderate to severe rosacea may be eligible to participate in rosacea studies conducted periodically through our Center for Skin Research.Back to Top